RED Camera Specifications
The RED camera, even though it could be a year before it’s delivered, has been a hit of NAB 2006 with 15-20 cameras being "sold" every hour on the first two days. (They are taking $1000 deposits with a guaranteed position in the delivery queue, refundable at any time.)
The basic specifications on the camera:
- magnesium alloy camera body weighs less than 7 lbs without lens, battery or any recording module;
- body alone will cost US$17,500;
- a port for RAW recording but that will be an optional module – no details on the specifics of what will come out that port;
- High resolution LCD viewfinder, with on screen display, focus assist and exposure assist;
- XLR for audio (at least)
- single CMOS sensor with 4520 x 2540 pixels (11.5 Mpixels);
- 29 square micron pixels – lots of light per pixel to help signal to noise and light sensitivity;
- 24.4mm x 13.7 mm, which is a big sensor about the size of Super 35mm film;
- wide dynamic range that exceeds 66 dB – about 11-15 stops;
- depth of field equivalent to using Cine lenses;
- windowing down to 2K to use Super 16mm lenses; and
- frame rates up to 120 fps.
- Native resolution (exceeds 4K);
- 4K resolution;
- 2K resolution;
- 1080i; and
- Variable from 1 to 60 fps for 2540P, 4K, 2K, 1090P, 1080i and 720P;
- Variable from 1 to 120 fps for 2K, 1080P, 720P by windowing sensor to use only a smaller part with 16 mm lenses;
- plus all the regular "legacy" frame rates.
- dual HD-SDI
- HDMI for vision
- 2K 4:4:4 RGB;
- 1080p 4:4:4 RGB;
- 1080p 4:2:2;
- 1080i 4:2:2;
- 720p 4:2:2; and
- 4 channel uncompressed 16 or 24 bit at a minimum of 48KHz.
- Digital Magazines will have FireWire 400 and 800, USB 2.0 and eSATA ports to plug into computer and copy files off, or play from, the magazine;
- RED-DRIVE will contain hard drives from 40 to 160 GB (2.5" drives);
- REDFLASH will use flash memory from 32-128 GB; and
- anything that will record HD-SDI output, like a Wafian drive.
- Variable bitrate wavelet-based;
- 10 bit 4:2:2 1080P, 1080i or 720P; and
- 10 bit log 4:4:4 at 2K resolution.
- RED-RAID, which is a high speed serial interface capable of carrying 2540P RAW data recorder running off 12v;
- UHD lenses by Oakley;
- RED 35mm and 16PL Cine Lenses;
- Optional B4 mountining kit coming;
- UHD viewfinder to see out of frame like an optical viewfinder;
- and the obvious camera bags, mount points, etc.